ABOUT THE SHOW
The fifth grade talent show is approaching, and everyone is abuzz at Baldwin Elementary. Winston wants to win the talent show with his cheerleading routine to prove to others that he’s more than the unfriendly “Fishboy” nickname they call him. Introverted artist Gina wants nothing to do with the talent show, and she knows that the overzealous (and generally unpleasant) twin sensations, Randy and Brandy, are probably going to win it all anyway. But with the persistence of Elliott, the school’s new kid and resident rebel, these unlikely friends form Hoopla, a dazzling hula hooping trio, and help each other navigate through the pressures of being a kid.
ABOUT THE POP TOUR
One of La Jolla Playhouse’s signature Learning and Engagement programs, the Performance Outreach Program (POP) Tour is an annual world-premiere, Playhouse-commissioned production that brings the magic of theatre to San Diego classrooms. Launched in 1987, the POP Tour can be accessed by schools, libraries and community centers. Prior to each performance, a Playhouse teaching artist visits each school, either in person or virtually, to engage students in an interactive workshop that explores issues and themes at the core of the play. The Playhouse also provides schools with an interactive standards-based engagement guide that enables educators to integrate the play into their curriculum, including exciting interviews with the cast and the creative team. Ideal for students in grades 3 – 6.
Not all schools can afford to bring programs like the POP Tour to their students. To make sure that the program is accessible to all, we offer partial and full scholarships to schools to cover the minimal program fee charged. Approximately 75% of schools received scholarships in 2020, including all Title 1 schools, thanks to corporate and foundation support, as well as the Adopt-a-School campaign.
Our generous patrons support the POP Tour by underwriting performances at specific schools from a list of those in need. These are schools that have already applied to have the POP Tour at their schools, but need financial support to make it a reality. Once a patron is matched with a school, they are invited to attend the school’s performance and workshop to share the students’ experience of watching the play and engaging in the post-show dialogue with the cast.
2022 Adopt-a-School Fund for Hoopla!
• $5,000 - Fully underwrite 2 performances at a school in need, including a pre-performance workshop and curriculum materials. Opening Night Circle benefits offered for the season.
• $2,500 – Fully underwrite 1 performance at a school in need, including a pre-performance workshop and curriculum materials. Actor’s Circle benefits offered for the season.
• $1,000 - Partially underwrite 1 performance at a school in need, including a pre-performance workshop and curriculum materials. Inner Circle benefits offered for the season.
• $500 – Share with 5 friends to fully underwrite 1 performance at a school in need, including a pre-performance workshop and curriculum materials. Center Stage Club benefits offered for the season.
• $250 – Help with transportation costs of the POP Tour. Ovation Club benefits offered forthe season.
To learn how you can support our Theatre for Young Audiences programs, please contact Associate Director of Philanthropy, Keely Daximillion, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (858) 228-3084.
La Jolla Playhouse Gratefully Acknowledges the Generous Institutional Support
of our Learning & Engagement Donors
Corporate support provided by:
Government support provided by:
Foundation support provided by:
The Samuel I. and John Henry Fox Foundation
The Pratt Memorial Fund
San Diego Scottish Rite Community Foundation
La Jolla Playhouse acknowledges the land on which our theaters sit as the un-ceded territory of the Kumeyaay Nation. Today, the Kumeyaay people continue to maintain their political sovereignty and cultural traditions as vital members of the San Diego community. Their contributions to our region are tremendous and we thank them for their stewardship